Thursday, August 30, 2012

#2 Get Out of My Head

Douglas Rushkoff seems to tap into my subconscious in this excerpt. He manipulated my brain to believe my thoughts were my own, only to reveal it was all part of his plan. This is what the media does to us on a daily basis. I always knew advertisements attempted to appeal to my desire to be "cool" or get me to buy things through careful design of their store layout, but i had no idea their tactics were so much more sophisticated than that.

Concerning the media I've always felt as though maintaining a somewhat cynical point of view kept me guarded from their cheesy advertising. Little did i know they had taken my cynicism and made it their tool.  I had no idea they (the media) had taken my defense and made it their offense. It could easily make a fellow paranoid. 

While reading this I began to feel as though i could confide in Douglas. He was my shepherd, and he would protect me from the hungry wolves that we call the media. It completely blew my mind he was manipulating the way i was thinking the entire time i was reading. He even made it sound as though it was completely effortless. After reading this I will have an even harder time trusting corporate America.

No comments:

Post a Comment